Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Complete & utter frustration (and a hard lesson learned)

I can’t even begin to explain how frustrated I’ve been this week. On Monday I had to travel for work, so I had about two hours in the car to work on my crochet stuff. I planned to finish up McKenzie’s booties, then maybe get started on a new cover or hat if I had time. I don’t even know how many times I got four or five rows in and had to pull it all back out, I lost count after about five. Over, and over, and over again my seam was getting off, or I was somehow adding stitches, or the center of the toe was WAY off – not even anything I could adjust to make work. Finally I got so sick of pulling everything apart, I just switched yarn to start fresh. I decided I should take a second to double-check I was using the correct hook size, and what do you know, it was one size up. So I switched to the correct size, and right away, things started going just right. I did have one point where I had to move a stitch from one side of the bootie to the other, just because I wanted things a little more centered, but other than that, I got it done in about half an hour, of course right before we got back from our trip. All that time wasted! I was happy to finally have accomplished something, but of course it’s not even the right color for what McKenzie wanted.

Tuesday night I tried to start again on the brown booties, and still had no luck. The toe kept getting further and further off center, even though I was following the pattern exactly. Finally, last night, instead of following the pattern exactly, I adjusted most of the rows to make sure the toe stayed centered and was finally able to get one done. After three days of working on the same little bootie, it was good to have it finished, but daunting to know I need to make another one. I did keep notes on the pattern of the changes I made, so hopefully I’ll be able to do it again.

What I really don’t understand is that I was able to make the very first one absolutely perfectly with no troubles at all. After that one I figured I’d be able to whip these little things out in no time & didn’t bat an eye when McKenzie said she wanted a pair, and another friend said she wanted a few pairs. Now I think I might just be happy to get the one pair done for McKenzie, and forget the rest! :)

Actually, I know I’ll keep trying to tackle these until I get it all sorted out & they come easy again. Or at least that’s my plan.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate each & every one I get. I do try to respond to most (if not all) comments, but that's hard to do if you don't have an e-mail in your profile! :)