Monday, January 17, 2011

String Me Along - January

I feel like I have so much to share this week since I was finally able to get some sewing done! Since finishing up the WOZ bag just before Christmas, I haven't touched the sewing machine, mostly because I just haven't had the time. Between getting ready for Christmas, and actually having our three Christmases, I've had no weekend time & forget about getting anything done in the evenings lately! All I can do is cook, eat, and sleep!

So, more to share later this week, but for now, my first block in the String Me Along Quilting Bee.

This block is for Linda, who is making a quilt for her daughter similar to this one she made for her son.

IMG_1699

I really like the finished quilt, and this block was super easy to make. I got it all put together Saturday morning before lunch, and since it makes such a big finished block (18 inches!) it wouldn't take long to have a completed top.


You can tell my blocks on the right don't quite match up with the blocks on the left. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I think I may have trimmed one of the blocks incorrectly. In order to have the pink triangles line up correctly, I had to sew them this way & I hope Linda is able to make it work. It would have been much easier to trim with a correctly sized square, but I didn't have one, so I made due with my cutting mat & see-through ruler. The rest of them turned out perfectly, but one was just a smidge smaller than the others & threw things off a bit. I did my best to make it work, and I just hope Linda is able to use the finished block.

This fabric was my absolute favorite of all the ones I received (although they were all pretty!), so I tried to make sure it wasn't stuck on an end where it would get cut off.


Is it just me or does it remind anybody else of the fire power flower in Mario Bros.? Probably just me. :)

I'm looking forward to finding out what we'll be making for February!

Until next time...

6 comments:

  1. Those fabrics all look great together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that is the same thing I thought when I saw that fabric!!! Too funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so weird. I'm sitting here with my machine in front of me and the computer off to the side and as I was reading your post I had the strip with that piece in my hands and was pinning the pink triangle. I was just thinking how much I love this fabric!!! Although, I keep thinking it's apples for some reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!! I love the design and the fabrics you picked, they are so soft and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved making that block as well, and was surprised by how easy it was. I didn't get the floral fabric, but you are so right! It looks like it is straight out of Mario Bros!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving this block as well. I am hoping to put mine together this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate each & every one I get. I do try to respond to most (if not all) comments, but that's hard to do if you don't have an e-mail in your profile! :)