Saturday, May 21, 2011

There's good news, and then there's bad news...

Thank you all for your great tips & tricks about my issues with my sewing machine. I really appreciate all your help!

The bad news is, nothing is helping & it's still having more or less the same problem. I stripped it down as much as I dared without causing more damage, and got everything as clean as I could. Slowly, I started adding pieces back in & tested it at each step of the way to see if I could figure out where things were going wrong. One nice thing about having a computerized machine (I have a Brother CS-6000i) is it's got a button to automatically move the needle completely up or down, so I was able to just hit that & watch & listen to everything. Not until I actually got thread back in it, and started sewing did I start hearing the noises again. So I pulled the cover off the bobbin to see if I could tell where things were getting snagged up (it's still having tension issues), and I was able to see where the thread it catching with the tension turned down. I guess that's good news, except I don't think there's anything I can do to fix it myself.

The good news is that I found out the local quilt shop in my town is a Brother dealer & services them! So I can just drop it off with them & hopefully it'll come back good as new.

Unfortunately, there's more bad news - when I called the shop, the woman said it usually takes two weeks to get the machine back. Two weeks without my machine?! Not cool.

Now I don't know what to do. I know it needs to be serviced, there's no question about that, the question is when. Do I take it in right away so I can get it back as soon as possible? Or do I deal with it for now, and drop it off when we go out of town in a couple weeks? I obviously wouldn't be able to use it while we're gone anyways, but I know it's probably not going to be good on it to use it in the meantime. Decisions, decisions. But at least I know I can get it fixed!

Until next time...

7 comments:

  1. i feel your pain! My dealer usually tells me a week to ten days. Did you ask if they have loaner machines? My store rents them for I think $25 a week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bree, when my machine was making that mess on the back side, it was a nicked bobbin case... and the shop I took it to had the right one and replaced it in a couple of minutes. Maybe you'll get lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tough choice!! If you feel like you can't sew on it the way it is, take it in. Maybe it will be a quicker fix than you're anticipating?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bummer! Did you describe the problem to the dealer? Maybe they have some other suggestions you can try before you bring it in? Good luck, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no!!!!!! I'm so sorry...I feel your pain, I was in this spot last summer. I hope you can get it fixed quickly...maybe just take it in right away?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the worst! Can you keep sewing with it for now, and arrange to take it in right around the time the baby is due? That's exactly what I did when my youngest was born - my husband took my machine in for service the day before my scheduled c-section. Needless to say, I didn't miss my machine at all during that time, so it worked out perfectly. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of the comments are great ideas! Sorry it wasn't something you could fix and at least you found the problem! If you lived close, I would loan you a machine! :) If you can live the the yuck tension, I would just keep her until you go on vacation!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate each & every one I get. I do try to respond to most (if not all) comments, but that's hard to do if you don't have an e-mail in your profile! :)